There are many ways to avoid cavities this Halloween with simple oral health-care tips and practices to ensure a healthy, happy occasion. Halloween doesn’t have to be a scary time for your teeth. By encouraging healthy oral hygiene habits you allow your children to still have fun while easing your mind. Remember to brush and floss after eating candy, and enjoy the treats in moderation! Make sure to help your little ones with proper brushing technique to encourage life long habits.
Tips to keep your teeth cavity free, this Halloween:
- Eat Halloween candy with meals or shortly after mealtime. Saliva production increases during meals. This helps cancel out acids produced by bacteria in your mouth and rinse away food particles
- Have your child brush and floss their teeth after eating sugary treats. If your child doesn’t have access to a toothbrush while at school or a friend’s house, give them sugarless gum to help get their saliva flowing
- Eating sweets is fine when done in moderation and for a short period of time
- Toffee tops the list for pulling gear out of a kid’s mouth, whether it’s parts of braces or dental fillings. Lollipops are also on the top list of teeth health offenders because children suck on them for long periods of time. Get your child to trade in these treats by offering them stickers or a Halloween-themed toothbrush
- When you chew sugarless gum after meals it may help reduce tooth decay. This is because increased saliva flow helps wash out food and neutralize the acid produced by bacteria. You may even consider giving out gum instead of candy this Halloween!